August 03, 2011
1 ½ cups light cream
4 ounces smoked scallops
4 ounces smoked mussels
2 slices bacon, finely chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 cups whole milk
16 small red potatoes, halved or quartered
Handful fresh dill, finely chopped (for garnish)
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring cream to a simmer. Remove from heat, and add smoked scallops and mussels; set aside.
2. In another saucepan over medium-high heat, render the bacon, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until crisp. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels.
3. Add the onion to the pan, and cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes or until translucent.
4. Add the milk and bring the mixture to a simmer. Add potatoes, lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
5. Gently stir in cream and smoked shellfish. Cook for 3 minutes, or until the chowder is hot. Ladle into bowls and garnish with bacon and dill.