- 8 slices of nitrate-free bacon from foraged hogs
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, diced into bite sized pieces
- 2 quarts of chicken broth from pastured hens
- 8 oz of diced green chiles
- 1 tbsp. of homemade taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp. of ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- 3/4 cups of butter from grass-fed cows
- 3/4 cups of sprouted flour
- 1 quart of cream from grass-fed cows
- 2 (6.5 oz) cans of minced clams
- 8 oz. of sour cream from grass-fed cows
- 6 oz. of grated raw cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 bunch of chopped cilantro or diced green onions(optional)
2. Meanwhile, bring chicken broth to boil in a 6 quart soup pot and add diced potatoes, green chiles, taco seasoning, cumin, and salt. Allow potatoes to cook in the boiling broth.
3. About 10 minutes before broth and aromatic veggies are ready, begin making your roux in a small sauce pan. Melt butter over medium heat; then add flour, stirring constantly to create a pasty roux. To the hot roux, add cold cream. (REMEMBER: HOT roux + COLD cream = NO LUMPS!) Continue stirring over medium heat until it thickens into a nice, creamy gravy.
4. Transfer bacon and aromatic veggies into your large soup pot. Add thickened gravy to the large soup pot. Stir until evenly mixed. Remove from heat. Add clams and sour cream and stir until evenly mixed.
5. Serve up your extra tasty clam chowder in bowls, topped with grated cheese and cilantro or diced green onions.